Wednesday 25 February 2009

Drew Karpyshyn moving to Austin

Drew Karpyshyn, lead writer at BioWare of KotOR, Mass Efect and Darth Bane (novels) fame is moving to Austin, Texas and continue his work for BioWare in their Austin studio (you know, the one developing Star Wars: The Old Republic).

Here's the entry from his homepage:
Okay, one more bombshell… in 6 weeks I am MOVING from Canada down to the U.S. of A. That’s right – goodbye Edmonton, hello Austin, Texas.

Why am I moving to Austin? Hmmm, let me think. Year round golf. Driving distance to the Spurs home games. Houses that cost half of what they do here in Edmonton. Taxes about half of what I pay in Canada. $49 flights to Vegas. The question isn’t why am I moving; the question is what took me so long?

But fear not, because I’m still going to be working for BioWare. You see, BioWare has a (fairly) new studio down in Austin working on a little game called Star Wars: The Old Republic. So, does this mean I’m done with the Mass Effect series? No! I’m still working on Mass Effect 2, and I’ll continue to be part of the writing team even while I’m down in Austin.

However, at some point, I’ll be transitioning over to the SW:TOR writing team.
In other words he'll continue his work on Mass Effect 2 for a while, but will then transfer over to write for SW:TOR.

Thought that might be interesting.

No comments: